Poor road worries residents of Kangpar Gewog

With the onset of the summer season, the people of Kangpar Gewog are worried. An area along their gewog connectivity road is prone to landslides and it has been leaving the gewog cut-off from the rest of the district. The landslide area is located at Peydoong, around 13 kilometres away from the gewog centre. 

The landslide was cleared recently after an erosion triggered by rain left the stretch blocked for almost a week. The villagers worry it would get blocked again as the monsoon intensifies.

People use the Bedengphu farm road as an alternative to get across the gewog centre. But it is risky as they have to cross the Gangri river along the stretch using a temporary wooden bridge.

“I get scared while crossing the wooden bridge as it may collapse anytime with a lot of people and goods. But I don’t have a choice. I have to use the bridge. But I try to reduce the number of passengers and goods while driving over the bridge when I reached here,” said Sangay Wangchuk, a resident of Bedengphu village.

“We constructed the bridge although it is risky. Starting this month, the river will start to swell and there are chances of the bridge getting washed away. If this happens, we will have to travel on foot,” added Tshering Dorji, another resident.

According to the Kangpar Mangmi, the gewog office will allocate some amount from its disaster fund to mitigate and prevent landslides at Peydoong.

Meanwhile, the construction of a motorable bailey bridge is underway over the Gangri river. It is expected to be ready within the next three months.

“After the completion of the bridge, we don’t have to worry about the Peydoong area roadblock. People of five chiwogs can travel through the bridge especially during the summer season,” said Sangay Tenzin, the Kangpar Mangmi.

There are around 490 households with almost five thousand people in Kangpar Gewog.

Sonam Darjay, Trashigang

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube