Enduro Sport gaining popularity among the Bhutanese youth

While mountain biking is still at its budding stage in the country, it is expected to become one of the popular sports with the growing number of youth showing their interest in enduro sport. Enduro is an off-road motorcycle sport, held on extended cross-country, off-road courses.

Enduro is relatively a new sport globally that was introduced a decade ago. However, it is a very fast evolving form of riding today with a promising number of riders showing interest in the sport.

Biking with ease along the steep and difficult terrains of Sangaygang, 17-year-old Tandin Wang Ghalley and his 11-year-old brother, who is barely taller than the bike is one among many enthusiast groups.

“Since it is a physically challenging sport, it is a tiring task in the beginning. Many would give up by saying that it is a difficult sport but I have not given up. When we practice every day and explore various trails and routes, we will be able to understand the real joy of this sport. We also get connected to mother nature through this sport, ” said Tandin Wang Ghalley.

Since taking up the sport in 2016, Tandin has managed to take part in numerous events.

“Firstly, I took part in a mountain biking competition organised at the Tandin Nye. But I could not secure a good position. I stood at the 25th position in the competition. Thereafter, I tried to take part in various other races. We also have a club called Thimphu Mountain Biking Club. From that, we were able to get some support and sponsorships. With that support, I also took part in an international competition in Nepal,” he added.

He aspires to become a professional rider and represent Bhutan in the Enduro World Series, which is the father of enduro sports across the world.

Tandin is not alone, like many others, his younger brother is also following in his footsteps.

“I started cycling at the age of six. I use to practice with my brother for most of the time and sometimes, I go riding with my friends and that is when I learn too,” said Druksel, Tandin’s brother.

In such sports, riders have to race downhill and uphill for days. They are timed in various stages that are mostly downhill but can vary in steepness, length and difficulty depending on the locations. The win is ultimately claimed by those with the lowest final accumulative time.

Today, in Thimphu alone there are around 30 racers who are actively taking part in enduro. Out of the 30 riders, 20 of them are young riders like Tandin.

For now, not many people are aware of the sport but going by the number of young riders showing their interest in the sport, the popularity of enduro is anticipated to grow gradually with time.

Passang Dorji

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube