A graduate in farm inspires farmers

For many, looking for a job is becoming a secondary option now. As the country records increasing youth going back to their village to work in farms, a young graduate in Zhemgang steals the attention of many, this time.

After completing B.com from the Gedu College of Business Studies last year, 27-year-old Tashi Tshering from Goling under Nangkhor Gewog had just one plan – to get a decent job. But today, he is seen in the lush green vegetable field, harvesting the fortune he has never thought of. He had the first harvest of broccoli from his garden, just recently.

Back in Thimphu, Tashi would hardly have Ngultrum five in his wallet, but now in the village, he said five ngultrum lasts for a month. ” I no longer longs to look for a job but will remain in the village, doing the farm works. I already see where I am five years from now,” Tashi said.

And today, treading the path he never dreamt of, he has not only become a source of inspiration for youth in his village, but also a man of the respectable figure. According to the young graduate, the future looks more promising and cheerful in agriculture than in offices.

”Farm work is tiring at times, but it gives a sense of contentment, relief, and satisfaction,” he added.

The first harvest from his commercial garden further boosted Tashi’s enthusiasm for agricultural works. According to him, agriculture is the ultimate way forward to a self-reliant and independent life. He said he can stay by his ageing parents’ side as well. His field expands in an area of one-acre land and he is being helped by his younger brother who is on vacation.

Tashi sought technical support from the Dzongkhag Agriculture Sector for his first harvest recently. He expects to make around Nu 60,000.

Pema Samdrup 

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube