LPG cylinder distribution needs streamlining, Bumthang

Despite distributing two truckloads of liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) cylinders in Bumthang on Thursday, the demand is still not met. Moreover, improper relay of information to the people on the procedures of buying the cylinders coupled with stringent rules on the need to have LPG Consumption Cards have left some portion of the public in Bumthang still unable to refill their cylinders.

People say the distribution strategy needs to be streamlined.

Last week, several people returned home unhappy after the Bhutan Oil Corporation (BOC) depot in Chamkhar ran short of cylinders. This week, the Dzongkhag administration handed over the distribution work to the Thromde Ngotshab’s office. Though the distribution was done as per the requisition list received from the Chipoen of the community, quite a number of people living in rented apartments were not informed about the need to put a requisition. This is because, in most areas, the information was shared only on WeChat groups.

“We are struggling to refill our cylinders. The cylinders were only distributed to the ones registered in the requisition list. We moved to Bumthang only recently and we were not aware of the village’s WeChat group. So we were left out from the requisition filing process,” said Lobzang Yonten, a resident of Bumthang Town.

“I own a shop at Chamkhar town but I live about a kilometre and half away from the town. So my name was listed in the town’s requisition list, that’s why the distributors denied refilling my cylinder when I waited here in front of my home. It would be convenient if we were given the cylinders as long as we bring the LPG Consumption Cards with us irrespective of our location,” added Thuji Yonten, also a resident of Bumthang Town.

According to the Thromde Ngotshab, lack of adequate manpower in his office to disseminate information to every household led to the lapses.

“Bumthang town is spread over a very wide valley and the population is quite high as well but there are no Tsogpas or Chipoens officially appointed under my office unlike in the gewog offices. The ones that are there presently are all assigned based on my personal connection. That’s why it is very difficult for us to reach out to people living in every nook and corner,” said Ugen Sangay, the Thromde Ngotshab of Bumthang Town.

However, the problem is not only with the distribution strategy. LPG cylinder demand in Bumthang has increased during the lockdown and, distributors and authorities suspect people of hoarding the cylinders.

“Before the lockdown, four truckloads of cylinders would be enough for the entire population of Bumthang for a month even when the tourist standard hotels were operating. This time, we delivered five truckloads of cylinders in August alone but still, they weren’t sufficient for all the people. We now feel that people are stocking up on the cylinders,” said K.N Sharma, the Manager of BOC in Bumthang.

The bigger picture, however, is that the BOC’s Regional Office in Gelegphu has also stopped receiving cylinders from India for almost a week due to recent protests in India. However, BOC’s Regional Manager in Gelegphu said the issues were resolved and few truckloads of cylinders will arrive in Gelegphu today. A truckload each will be dispatched to Bumthang and Trongsa by Tuesday.

Amid the issues, the non-subsidised green cylinders are remaining unsold. For instance, in Bumthang’s BOC warehouse, there are more than 50 non-subsidised cylinders as of today. There are only a few subscribers even if the current price for the non-subsidised cylinder is just about Nu 70 more than the subsidised one. However, as the Economic Affairs Ministry has restricted new connections for the non-subsidised cylinders temporarily, people are unable to buy them even if they want to. According to Namgay Tshering, the Trade Officer for Trongsa’s Regional Trade and Industry office, if there is substantial demand for the non-subsidised cylinders, the regional office can propose to the ministry to seek approval for issuing new connections.

The Economic Affairs Ministry also plans to distribute a new white LPG cylinder across the country if the country faces cooking gas shortage. Regional trade offices across the country have stockpiled 40,000 such cylinders in reserve.

Kipchu

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube