S/J Thromde employs 27 workers from entertainment centres to carry out cleaning services

In what is an exemplary move by the Samdrup Jongkhar Thromde, 27 employees of various entertainment centres in the Thromde have been hired to carry out town cleaning services.

They were hired through the Regional Office of Labour and Human Resource in Samdrup Jongkhar. The Thromde will pay them a monthly salary of Nu. 15,000.

The closure of the entertainment centres in March had left many employees without work.

Speaking to BBS, Ugyen Lhazin, one of the workers, said that her employer was helping them with house rent and ration until now but it was not possible for this assistance to continue with the indefinite closure of the entertainment centres. “So when the Thromde offered this job, I took it up as a good opportunity. I don’t feel shy about doing this job, I think we are all serving our country,” she said.

Kelzang Wangchuk, another worker, said that this job is beneficial since most of them come from poor families. “We don’t have much savings, so when the government is giving us this opportunity, we are very grateful.”

This move has not only provided the 27 of them with a job during the current situation but it has also helped the Thromde in keeping the town clean during the ongoing border closure.

The Samdrup Jongkhar Thromde earlier used Indian labourers from across the border to clean the town.

Besides cleaning the town, the 27 of the Thromde’s new recruits will also create awareness on COVID-19 among the general public.

Kinley Wangchuk

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube