Cases of speeding vehicles hitting people and animals on the rise- Damchu

With about three kilometres stretch 0f road at Damchu under Chapcha Gewog in Chhukha plain and straight, cases of speeding vehicles hitting people and animals have been on the rise. Locals are seeking speed breakers in the area along the Thimphu-Phuentsholing highway.

The smooth road may favour speed but it has cost the residents heavily. The first person was hit in 2009. There were many such cases and the recent one happened nearly three weeks ago. The residents are worried about it.

“The speeding of vehicles along this stretch is an issue here. Some seven years ago, a vehicle hit a man and he is still not in good state. Similarly, there are many cases of vehicles hitting cows,” said Leki Dorji, a resident of Damchu.

“I was inside the home. As I came out I saw a bolero pick-up coming in speed and hit my brother. We then took him to the hospital. It has been three weeks now. He is discharged from the hospital but still under medication,” shared Tandin Bida, from Damchu.

The residents say that they have put up an application to the Home Ministry three years back and the officials visited the place too.

“Police also inspected the area and found that the residents were right regarding the speeding of vehicles. The government then issued a letter to put in place some speed breakers here. Project DANTAK was against the idea of speed breaker so they painted two zebra crossings but it didn’t help,” said Leki Dorji, also from Damchu.

Residents say that they were settled in the area since their forefathers time. And today, they fear going near the road. Zebra crossings were all faded and couldn’t be seen only. According to the Chhukha Dzongkhag Administration, they did not receive any complaint from the people.

Sonam Penjor

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube