Two athletes manage good performance in Beijing 2019 World Para Athletics Grand Prix

Despite failing to bring in any medals for the country, the two short statured Bhutanese athletes managed to set up a good performance in the Beijing 2019 World Para Athletics Grand Prix yesterday. The two shot put throwers overcame their personal best records.

For the first time, Bhutan is taking part in the event to get Bhutanese athletes classified and to acquire international exposures.

With 6 shot put throwers in both the categories, Gyeltshen and Chimi Dema both made it to the finals of the event.

Gyeltshen broke his personal best record of 6 meters by making a throw distance of 6 meters and 4 centimetres.

Likewise, Chimi Dema also managed to break her own personal record of 4 meters and 10 centimetres.

“I was really impressed by their performance. The best part is, to qualify for the Tokyo 2020, men have to throw 6 meters and women 4 meters. So both my athletes have achieved the qualification distance here. So I am hoping with furthermore training they will be qualified for the Tokyo 2020 Paralympics,” Penjor Gyeltshen, the Coach, said.

Praising his athletes, he added the primary objective of participating in the event was not to win any medals but rather prepare athletes for the upcoming events. The team will arrive home today.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube