BKP rejects president’s resignation

The Bhutan Kuen-Nyam Party (BKP) says Dasho Neten Zangmo’s resignation has not been accepted. The party revealed this through a post on its Facebook page earlier today. The BKP’s Vice President Sonam Tobgay later confirmed it in an interview with BBS.

This comes after the resignation letter of the Dasho Neten Zangmo was shared on the party’s Facebook page yesterday.

The party’s Vice President Sonam Tobgay said Dasho is an asset for the party. He said it’s important that she hold onto her reign as the party president and gear up and come back strong for 2023 elections.

“We may not have won the elections this term but she bears strong character, strong moral bearings for which I think there will be a time whereby BKP’s turn might emerge. So, for these reasons we are bit hesitant to let go of Dasho,” Vice President Sonam Tobgay said.

Dasho Neten Zangmo led her party BKP to the primary polls for the Third National Assembly election held on September 15. She was the lone woman party president.

In the resignation letter, dated September 16, Dasho wrote her party fetched dismal 28,473 votes, which is 9.78 per cent of the total votes cast in the primary round.

“As the President, I singularly bear the responsibility for the debacle and I have to be accountable. Therefore, being fully conscious of my sacred duty and sincerely adhering to the BKP’s principle of party taking precedence over individuals, I offer to step down from the post of the party president,” Dasho stated.

But BKP’s Vice President said Dasho Neten Zangmo cannot singularly take the responsibility for BKP’s dismal results.

“I think if there’s a success, it has to be a collective success. If the results are otherwise, it has to be a collective outcome. So, I don’t think it’s fair on Dasho Neten’s part to blame it on herself singularly. However, I think such quality, taking accountability and responsibility of certain outcome, in a leader is rare.  Most leaders would want to cling on to power despite the outcome. So, in that sense, we salute Dasho Neten.”

In her resignation letter, Dasho has also said the offer to step down is neither rhetoric nor a perfunctory formality that she is trying to fulfil.

“Further, I’m also willing to withdraw my candidature if BKP desires to explore for another candidate with strong support base from Dewathang_Gomdar constituency,” she wrote.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube