Students perform mask dances in Phuentshogling tshechu

It is usually the monks and lay people performing mask dances in the tshechus across the country. But in the day-long tshechu in Phuentshogling, the mask dances are performed by the students.

Until last year, the thromde had to hire mask dancers from Chhukha and other regions. But this year, the students from six schools under the thromde participated in the tshechu.

More than 100 boys between the age of 14 and 16 took part in the various mask dances like Drametse Ngachham, Guru Tshengay, Pa Chham among others.

The students have been practising the mask dances for the last five months.

“My parents came to witness the tshechu especially to watch me perform mask dances. At the first, I found the mask dances tiring but now it is fun,” Tshering Jamtsho, a student, said.

“I am happy to be the Chhampoen. We were taught mask dances by a teacher and sometimes in his absence, I teach my friends,” Ngawang Mangay, another student, said.

The Executive Secretary of the Thromde, Wangchuk Thaye attributes the success of the tshechu to the joint effort of the monks,the students and teachers involved.

“The schools under the thromde have promised to continue their participation in the tshechu.”

Thousands of people gathered to witness the tshechu at the Palden Tashi Choling Tshulga Lhakhang.

Phuentshogling Tshechu has been an annual cultural affair since 2014.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube