SCE to introduce a course in social work

The Samtse College of Education (SCE) will introduce Bachelor of Arts in Social Work by mid next year. The introduction of the four-year course, a first of its kind in the country, comes after a survey the college carried out last year.

“We found out social work is offered as a programme at undergraduate and master’s level in different countries. Bhutan is the only country where this program is not offered,” Ganeshman Gurung, the Programme Coordinator, said.

“We thought the introduction of the course will help create a pool of graduates who will come equipped with solid knowledge, skills and ethics of social work.”

In preparation for the introduction of the course, about 20 participants, mostly from the Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), attended a certificate course in social work in Thimphu recently.

“What we do is social work and we are finally being certified as social workers,” Meenakshi Rai, one of participants, said.

She added the move is timely. “Everybody knows social issues are growing. Issues like teenage pregnancy, suicide, rape, and they are all under reported. Social work must be a priority for the government.”

“We are social workers but we are not trained. I think it’s about time we have professionals in the field of social work,” Garab Dorji, another participant, said.

“This course was an opportunity for us to learn that social work is more than what we think it is,” Tenzin Yangden said.

“In my three years stay at the Bhutan Cancer Society, I haven’t met with anyone who has any degree or background in social work. Through this course, I have gained a lot of knowledge and skills.”

The certificate course was offered with technical support from the UNICEF.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube