Nation marked Teachers’ Day

Every year, May 2 marks the day of gratefulness in the country. On this day, people take out time to pay tribute to the “Father of Modern Bhutan,” His Majesty the Third Druk Gyalpo. It is also a day to thank teachers for their selfless contribution in shaping the lives of country’s future generation.

Celebrating the journey of teaching, over a thousand of teachers gathered at the Changlimithang upon the invitation of the education ministry. Prime Minister Dasho Tshering Tobgay attended the event.

As part of the celebrations, 43 retired Indian teacher, who worked in Bhutan, were invited and presented with a token of appreciation.

“This year marks the 50 years of diplomatic relations between India and Bhutan. One reason for our strong bond of friendship is because we have many Indian teachers working in Bhutan,” Education Minister, Norbu Wangchuk underlined, while addressing to the gathering.

He also said: “Since the advent of modern education in the country, many Indian teachers have served and some are still serving here.”

For teachers, they couldn’t have asked for better reward than having a day celebrated in the name of their profession.

“I feel I made the right decision by choosing the teaching profession. I am very happy today. I heard not many youth are willing to take up the profession. So, I think such events can actually encourage them,” said one of the teachers, Karma Yangzom.

Other teachers also shared that teaching is truly a rewarding profession. “Teaching is a difficult task. But as we see our own students graduate successfuly and become doctors, engineers, lawyers, and many more, we feel too proud as a teacher,” said Chhimi Weezer, Vice Principal of Jigme Namgyel Lower Secondary School in Thimphu.

His Majesty The King and Her Majesty The Gyaltsuen also graced the occasion in between. Their majesties interacted with the retired Indian teachers.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube