JAB condemns Bhutan’s ranking in RWB’s world press freedom index

Bhutan’s press freedom has dropped 10 places to 94th rank in the list of 180 countries in this year’s World Press Freedom Index, published by Reporters Without Borders (RWB), based in France.

However, the Journalist Association of Bhutan (JAB) condemns the decline in the ranking. Last year, the country was ranked 84th.

“I am very doubtful how Reporters Without Borders reached to the figures and what kind of research they do, where they sent out their questionnaires to. Because I have been in the media for a long time, I haven’t received single questionnaire from them,” said the Executive Director of JAB, Needrup Zangpo, adding: “I think the figures they put up on their website could be based on assumptions”.

The report also highlighted that “Bhutanese media practiced stifling self-censorship, and laws criminalising defamation was introduced, which drove several journalists into exile, last year.” The association disagreed with this statement too.

“The world will mark the press freedom day today and the ranking for Bhutan has much of the journalists in disagreement. While some agreed to certain level of self-censorship, most did not agree that journalists were exiled from the country,” continued Needrup Zangpo.

Expressing reservations about the authenticity of the report, the JAB said they are not aware of any credible, professional journalist being contacted by the Reporters Without Borders.

“We have talked to various media houses about the report and told the press freedom ranking report seems baseless. We are also thinking of having a dialogue with RWB and confirm how they reached the figures published in their report,” reiterates the JAB’s Executive Director.

The Reporters Without Borders is an international non-profit, non-governmental organisation that promotes and defends freedom of information and freedom of press. It was founded in 1985.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube