Monggar’s Sonam Pelzom beats 12 male contenders

The lone woman candidate of Monggar, Sonam Pelzom, has done the impossible, or this is what it seemed like with 12 male contenders in the race with her.

But the people of Monggar have chosen her over male candidates.

She managed to win with good majority by securing a total vote of 2,406. This is 172 votes more from Tshering Wangchen who obtained the second highest votes.

Born in the remote village of Drangmaling in Tsamang, 32-year-old Sonam Pelzom is a mother of one.

She graduated from Sherubtse College in 2011 with a Bachelor’s Degree in Dzongkha and Geography. She had taught English at the National Institute for Zorig Chusum, Druk School and Thailand.

Sonam Pelzom said she didn’t expect to win given the competency of other candidates. “I am extremely happy. My hard work didn’t go to waste,” she said.

“At the same time, I am worried as well. It’s a huge responsibility. People had placed their trust and faith in me and I am worried over how well I would be able to serve as a bridge between the people and the government.”

Improving visibility of female voice and reducing poverty in the east are some of her top priorities.

Some of the people shared their views on having a woman representative. “We have never had a female candidate from our gewog so far and I am happy we had one this time, and even more happy that she has won,’ Kuenzang Wangchuk from Tsamang said.

Yeshi Lhaden, another voter from Tsamang, said she wasn’t very sure if Sonam Pelzom would win. “There were 12 other candidates and I was amazed when I came to know she has won.”

Sonam Pelzom is one of the two female candidates who managed to get elected in National Council election this time. This is an improvement from 2013 National Council election in which not a single women candidate won.

With 13, Monggar had the highest number of candidates this time.

The third highest vote went to Sonam Wangchuk who secured 2,129 votes followed by Naichu who received 2,097 votes.With only 511 votes, Ugyen Tshering secured the least number of votes.

Jamyang Loday, Yeshey Lhendup, Pema Dorji and Neten have secured 1,509, 1,436, 1,303, and 1,212 votes respectively.

Rinchen Dorji received 1,052 votes, while Chimi Dorji and Ugyen Dorji obtained 674 and 649 votes respectively.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube