Queen Mother begins high-level advocacy programme in Thimphu

Her Majesty The Queen Mother Sangay Choden Wangchuck met with Royal Body Guard and Royal Bhutan Police personnel along with their families in Thimphu as part of the high-level advocacy on priority health and social issues.

Her Majesty is the United Nations Population Fund or UNFPA’s goodwill ambassador.

The first day of the advocacy programme began today.

Addressing the people, Her Majesty expressed concerns over the increasing cases of HIV/AIDS, suicide, and communicable and non-communicable diseases in the country.

Her Majesty added that if the number keeps increasing, which is very likely to happen, it would bring serious implications on the health of the country.

Her Majesty called on every individual to work harder towards combating the spread of HIV/AIDS. Her Majesty also highlighted social issues such as teenage pregnancy and mental health.

“My biggest concern in the country is the increasing trend of HIV/AIDS. The reason for the concern is despite preventive measures in the country for the past 20 years, the number is still escalating. And under the leadership of His Majesty The Fourth Druk Gyalpo, I have been touring the 20 districts advocating myself. In 2000, centers to prevent HIV/AIDS were established in all the 20 districts to educate people. Despite such measures, the cases have been increasing. For instance, a few people are unknowingly spreading it while there are a few who are knowingly do it. When I started the advocacy tour, there were fewer people living with HIV/AIDS but now it has increased to 570.”

As part of the programme, officials from Health Ministry, RENEW, Lhak-Sam and National Commission for Women and Children also created awareness on various health and social issues.

So far, Her Majesty and the team conducted high level advocacy tour in the nineteen districts, Thimphu being the last.

The four-day advocacy programme in Thimphu will end next week.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube