His Majesty graces inauguration ceremony of the Bebji Rehabilitation Programme, Haa

His Majesty the King graced the inauguration ceremony of the Bebji Rehabilitation Programme in Haa yesterday. The national programme, initiated under the Command of His Majesty, is to alleviate poverty and improve livelihood of the landless and socio-economically disadvantaged people.

Before 2011, life was difficult for Kancha Rai. Since his family had no land to inherit, for generations, they had been practicing share-cropping in Saijong, a remote village, which was then under Samtse.

“With the family members expanding but no land, I was worried. Also, there was no school,” said Kancha Rai. “So I left my village and moved to Paro in 2005 looking for better opportunities.”

But post 2011, Kancha’s life took an upward trajectory. Along with his community in Saijong, he was granted Kidu under the National Rehabilitation Programme. He received about 2.5 acres of land, which included 50 decimals as Khimsa.

“There is a school nearby and a BHU too. “I am very happy and grateful to His Majesty for granting us the kidu.”

Like Kancha, there are 67 other households who were benefited with the rehabilitation programme at Bebji of Sangbaykha Gewog. Along with land to cultivate, they were provided with a decent house and basic amenities and other socio-economic services.

Today, after almost six years since the project started, the beneficiaries have become successful cardamom farmers. Last season, they generated about 6 million ngultrum worth cardamom.

“Earlier, we didn’t have proper land to cultivate. But today, His Majesty the King has provided us with everything. We feel blessed to be born in Bhutan under His Majesty’s reign,” one of the beneficiaries of Bebji Rehabilitation Programme, Pema Gyeltshen said.

“We were provided with everything ranging from a house to live-in to essential food items to farming tools. Even my father hasn’t done as much as what His Majesty the King has done for me,” said Aita Bahadhur Rai, another beneficiary.

Pursuant to the Royal Command, similar rehabilitation projects have been implemented in Lhuentse, Pema Gatshel and Samdrup Jongkhar benefiting 177 households.

Meanwhile, for Kancha and family, it is just the beginning. His third harvest of cardamom is ready for market and with its yield increasing every year, Kancha now looks forward to better days than today.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube