Of tenants and landlords

The rent in Thimphu is shooting through the roof with tenants often accusing the landlords of increasing the rent frequently. Tenants say they have no choice but to pay.

They do have a choice now. If landlords increase the rent frequently or ask them to vacate without a rhyme or reason, they can now complain to the Thimphu Thromde.

“Some owners are rational. While some just ask for more. I think the government should come up with some rules,” said one tenant.

“With a monthly salary, it is difficult to survive when the house rent is increased often,” said another.

At times the tenants air their frustrations on online forums.

“I can’t understand why the media is remaining silent on this issue and the government is not implementing the tenancy act.”

According another online writer said “the concerned authorities are turning a deaf ear.”

“When the year comes to an end, house owners issue us letters informing us that the rent is being increased.”

According to the tenancy act, house owners may increase the rent only once in two years. The increase shall not exceed 10% of the monthly rent.

Ugyen Dorji Tshechu, the legal officer with the Thimphu Thromde, assured that if landlords fail to abide by the law, and if tenants come and complain, they will intervene and help resolve the matter.

“Once we receive a complaint, we will conduct a preliminary investigation calling both the parties to our office. And as per the act, we will take an action”

But the Thromde office has received no complaints so far.

“Maybe the people are not aware of the act. I think that must be the problem, lack of awareness”

Will people come forward to complain if they are aware of the act? Can the tenants insist on signing a legally binding written agreement? That is doubtful, for as long as there is an acute shortage of affordable housing.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube