Confusion confounded

Owners of supermarkets in the capital are in a state of confusion after they were issued a notification by the Regional Trade and Industry Office requiring a separate license to sell processed meat.

Till now, they require only a grocery license to sell processed frozen meat and other goods and commodities.

Wangdi Gyaltshen, the proprietor of the Sharyang Enterprise, wants to know “where is it mentioned in the rule book that I need to obtain a separate license.

“I would need a lot of licenses, for selling eggs. If I sell cheese, I need a separate license for that also.”

Pema Loday, the General Manager of Tashi Commercial Corporation, is also equally confounded.

“We keep bacon, ham, sausage which are processed, finished products. They are same as canned meat or tuna fish. If they allow these, they should also allow the sale of processed meat. They are same.”

The notification requires not only a separate license, shopkeepers are also required to open a separate outlet for selling processed meat.

Mahendra Sharma, the Manager of 8-eleven, said they have no problem with “the pricing and obtaining a license, but opening a separate outlet is a problem.”

“Supermarkets provide everything in the same place. Bringing a separate outlet will also be a problem for the people because they have to run here and there.”

The Regional Trade and Industry Office is adamant that the new rule must be followed and says those who do not comply with it will be penalised.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube