Retired armed forces construct Tashi Gomang in Bumthang

With time, body wanes and each passing day exhausts, whatever little energy is left of a lifetime. However, such realities have not dampened the spirit of a group of retired army and policemen in Bumthang.

120 of them are collectively engaged in constructing a Tashi Gomang Chorten near Jampa Lhakhang. The construction has taken shape under the royal command.

Laborious work is a thing of the past for most of them despite having crossed the prime age, as they very much embrace the opportunity. Their dedication and hard work have resulted in completion of 50 percent of the construction.

While some of them move the building materials, some clean, and paint the Nangzung (relics) of the chorten.  They take turns to work in groups every ten days. They shared their delight for the chance to have a hand in the construction.

“We are really fortunate to receive such a command from His Majesty because we haven’t even thought of constructing a chorten before. We just want to work with sheer dedication,” said one of the retired soldiers, Ugyen Norbu.

For some, contributing labour in building Tashi Gomang is a noble task which would help them wade off sins.

“As a young man, I would have committed some sins unknowingly. Now that I have become old, it’s really fortunate for me to receive this opportunity from His Majesty to contribute for the construction,” said another former army, Tharpa Dorji.

Such assignment is an occasion of merry-making for them.

“Apart from our work, we joke around with one another and we have become good friends. Just like one big family, we share our problems to each other and solve them together. We are really happy working here. We will always cherish this opportunity granted to us by His Majesty,” told an ex soldier, Dorji Phuntsho to BBS.

As they break for the day, their hearts are filled with satisfaction and the towering chorten is a testimony of their hard work and growing friendship.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube