Making use of plastic wastes

Use and sale of plastic bags are banned in Bhutan since 1999. Yet, it forms a significant part of the wastes generated today despite repeated efforts to control it. A 27-year-old woman in Yongsebji, in Dagana, has come up with a new idea to reuse the plastic wastes. Dhan Maya, a National Work Force labourer, is using the waste to knit plastic mats.

“I tried to see if I can knit a mat by plastics, as we use to knit it with dried maize plants. Children are throwing away the plastics everywhere. I tried and it is working,” said Dhan Maya.

She collects plastics from the roadside thrown by the commuters and also collects it from the shops. “Plastics collected from the road are dirty and needs to be washed. It is also to prevent any kinds of disease that we may get from the dirt.”

After collecting and washing, the plastics are cut into pieces. She use all kinds of plastics that are available in the shops as well as that are thrown in open spaces. So far she has knitted eight plastic sitting mats.

“I did not sell the plastic mats so far. I am gifting it to my friends, who want to decorate their houses,” she added.

People use Dhan Maya’s attractive and colourful mats on chairs, benches and even inside their vehicles.

Dhan Maya’s idea has also benefited the shopkeepers too. “We produce lots of plastic waste. Previously we used to dig pits and burn the plastics. Now her idea has helped us in managing the plastic waste. We no longer have to burn the plastic and our surroundings are much cleaner,” said Sangay Lhamo, a shopkeeper.

Dhan Maya also shares her idea with her friends. So far, she taught three of her friends to knit the plastic mats.

She is expecting more women to come forward and learn the art of making the best use of plastic wastes.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube