No more ‘sage on the stage’, teachers say

No more 'sage on the stage', teachers sayThe classrooms are transforming from a quiet learning place, with teachers doing most of the talking, to nosier space with students taking active part in the learning process.

Most of the teachers are trying to shed the conventional lecture method and adopt a new method of engaging students.

The teachers say they are no more ‘sage on the stage’. They are now becoming ‘guide by the side’.

“Children now have become more conscious. They remain alert that anybody could be asked a question and that all of them have to participate,” said an English Teacher with Babesa MSS in Thimphu, Anu Golay.

She said the students now actively participate in the group activity.

“Here, each one of their contribution is important. There is accountability of each student which is important and that builds up students’ self esteem too.”

The students are also feeling the difference. The first visible difference is they no longer sit in rows and columns. They are now in groups most of the time.

“To be honest, when I was in class IX, I used to feel sleepy in the classroom but now I don’t,” said a student of Babesa MSS, Kinzang Thinley. He also said he is communicating more.

Even though, the teachers feel re-energised, well equipped, and motivated to fight inhibition of students, adopting the new method isn’t without constraints.

And, it has to do with the vast syllabus.

“We have a huge chunk of syllabus that we have to cover,” said Anu Golay.

At the moment, fifth batch of teachers are undergoing Transformative Pedagogy Training in Thimphu, Paro, Tsirang, Bumthang, and Zhemgang.

One of the facilitators, Kinzang Dhendup said the new method, adopted from Spencer Kagan’s structure, would help build social skills and positive relationship among children.

The training started on July 11 is costing the government around Nu 105 M.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube