Bhutanese risk Assam strikes to travel

strikeAbout 30 Bhutanese vehicles reached Samdrup Jongkhar border check post yesterday despite the police disallowing travel during Assam strikes, across the border. These vehicles had come from Phuentshogling.

Many of them had taken to the Assam Highway at their own risk.

“I have to reach Wamrong for my ritual. If I don’t attend, my whole year will be not good. I took risk, today,” said one of the travelers, Tandin Phuntsho.

During strikes in Assam, Bhutanese are not allowed to travel to Samdrup Jongkhar and Gelegphu but they are allowed to travel to Samtse. Samtse’s bordering area fall under India’s West Bengal and they do not observe Assam strikes.

Sources told BBS that many people leaving from Phuentshogling check post say they are heading to Samtse even though they are travelling to Samdrup Jongkhar and Gelegphu.

When there is no strike in Assam, passenger buses and other vehicles are allowed to move from 5:30 AM onward from Phuentshogling. They usually arrive in Samdrup Jongkhar at 2 in the afternoon.

But, during the time of Assam strikes, they reach Samdrup Jongkhar as late as 11 PM.

Till now, no damages to Bhutanese vehicles and people have been reported during Assam strikes.

Samdrup Jongkhar’s police are requesting passengers not to travel during strikes.

There are about a minimum of three to four strikes in Assam in a month.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube