Phase-I of geological study of Puna-I dam site and right bank complete

The first phase of the geological investigation at the dam site and the right bank of the Punatsangchhu Hydroelectric Project One, or Puna-I, has been completed. According to Puna-I project officials, these studies are a crucial step in understanding the geological landscape, which is essential for ensuring the structural stability of the project. The studies were undertaken by WAPCOS Limited, an Indian consultancy service provider.

The recent rock stability study consisted of digging 100-metre-deep boreholes into the rocks to obtain samples.

Following the completion of the geological investigation, officials from the Puna-I project stated that WAPCOS would submit a comprehensive report to the Joint Technical Coordination Committee, consisting of Bhutanese and Indian officials.

Project officials added that the Joint Technical Coordination Committee will discuss the findings with experts from both India and Bhutan to ensure the adoption of all necessary measures.

The officials said that these measures are critical due to the potential downstream consequences of any dam failure.

Work on phase two of the investigation is pending further deliberations.

As the 1,200-megawatt project enters its next phase, project officials said that the final decision made by the Joint Technical Coordination Committee will be submitted to the Punatsangchhu Hydroelectric Project Authority for further action.

The Joint Technical Coordination Committee is expected to reach a decision by the first or second week of April.

Since work began in 2008, the right bank of the dam has experienced multiple landslides, leading to the construction of a barrage. The most recent landslide occurred in January 2019.

Karma Samten Wangda

Edited by Sherub Dorji

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube