New Kuri-Gongri bridge brings hope and relief to people along Gyalpozhing-Nganglam highway

Nine months after the Kuri-Gongri Bridge collapsed, killing a couple, a new modular bridge with a carrying capacity of 40 metric tonnes opened to traffic yesterday. The Infrastructure and Transport Minister, Chandra Bdr. Gurung inaugurated the new bridge. The bridge opens new hopes for businesses along the Gyalpozhing-Nganglam highway and brings relief to people for whom the bridge is a lifeline. However, it is still not known what caused the second collapse on the 27th of June, last year.

The new 190-foot-long bridge is a compact 200-modular truss bridge. It was built after spending over Nu 30 M.

The bridge serves as a crucial link between the eastern districts and Nganglam. It also keeps businesses along the highway running, while reducing travel time for commuters.

“I waited three days in Lhuentse for the bridge’s opening. If I take the other route, it will take more days for the journey. I got information about the bridge’s opening from the officials. That’s why I waited to drive over the bridge during the opening,” said Ugyen Namgay, a trucker.

“The new bridge is now complete. I hope more people will come by,” said Chimi Yangden, a hotelier.

Without the bridge and due to the prolonged absence of customers, people say their businesses have been hit hard.

“The impact of not having enough customers on small retail businesses like ours is huge. We stocked up goods for our shop but there were no travellers for months, not even to buy a packet of Doma. That was our situation,” said Minjur Wangdi, a shopkeeper.

“We have suffered a lot since the bridge collapsed. When we travel via Samdrup Jongkhar, the vehicle charge is 70,000 ngultrum. However, if we travel via the Gyalpozhing Highway, the charge is only 45,000 ngultrum till Lhuentse,” said Ugyen Namgay, a trucker.

“Firstly, the commuters were affected. On the other hand, the people had to bear the high cost of goods and services. Cement, for example, can be brought from Nganglam directly in a day, but because of the bridge collapse, we had to route it through Samdrup Jongkhar. So, the transportation cost increased to around Nu 35,000 to 40,000 per truckload,” said Chedup, a businessman.

Businesses and drivers alike are now hoping the bridge will stand strong and not suffer the same fate as last year.

Thinley Dorji, Pema Gatshel

Edited by Sherub Dorji

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube