Inclusive toilet improves restroom accessibility for students with disabilities at Zhemgang PS

The recently inaugurated inclusive toilet at Zhemgang Primary School has been benefitting students with disabilities. The students no longer have to use regular toilets, which otherwise made visiting restrooms challenging. Now, since the inclusive toilets provide necessary assistance, visiting restrooms has become a comfortable experience.

The inclusive toilet has two sitting toilets equipped with grab bars, a walking ramp, wider doorways and a non-slip floor. The facilities make it easier for the students with disabilities to access them.

The toilet also has a sensor-based WASH facility for students with movement and coordination difficulties.

In the past, they had to use regular toilets, which the parents say was a difficulty.

Zhemgang Primary School’s Principal Karchung said,  “It has immensely benefited us. We have a disabled student whose diaper has to be changed every hour and we didn’t have a separate room for him. It was difficult.  We had been sharing our health room.”

“Some of the students are too young. When they had to use the regular toilet, it was difficult for them. Now, it has become convenient. The new toilets ensure stability. They also have a wash basin with a sensor,” said Dorji Wangmo, a parent.

“The toilet has separate rooms. It is clean and has sensors. Otherwise, it becomes uncomfortable when they have to use regular toilets with other children. So, it will not only benefit our children but all the students that come here in the future,” Bolanath Galley, a parent.

Zhemgang Primary School has 19 students living with disabilities. The school had a Special Education Needs, SEN facility since 2005.

The inclusive toilet at the school is one of the 13 WASH facilities supported by UNICEF.

“For a child with a disability coming to school, we assure his or her needs are taken care of. And I was also a child with a disability myself, and I know how important having access to inclusive toilets is. I am sure that everyone agrees having 13 toilets is great, but we hope to see the inclusive toilets scheme going to scale nationwide. So, let’s commit today to giving all children in Bhutan access to water, hygiene and sanitation because it’s their right,” said Naola Skinner, the Deputy Regional Director of UNICEF South Asia.

She says the inclusive toilets across the country benefit around 300 children with disabilities in eight schools.

UNICEF also supported five inclusive toilets in monastic schools.

Pema Samdrup, Zhemgang

Edited by Sangay Chezom

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube