Vendors see decline in sales at recent Gasa Tshechu

During festivals, local vendors usually earn a good income. However, at the recent Gasa Tshechu, vendors reported lower earnings this year due to fewer customers. They said that there were significantly fewer customers compared to previous years. More than 25 vendors from the neighbouring districts such as Thimphu and Punakha set up stalls during the three-day annual Tshechu.

At the recent Gasa Tshechu, many vendors found themselves waiting idly in their stalls with few customers throughout the day.

Some barely sold any items at all, feeling like they were camping rather than doing business. Similarly, restaurant stalls were often empty with people struggling to attract customers.

Despite being allocated space at the football ground by the district administration, vendors complained of fewer customers.

“I have been in this business in Gasa for about 15 years now. It used to do well before. Things haven’t been as good in the past two years. There have been noticeable changes in Gasa, including a significant population decline. Even after three days here, I haven’t made any profits,” said Kencho Tshering, a vendor from Punakha.

“I thought my business would go well when I came from Punakha for the festival here. However, there are very few customers. I haven’t been able to sell much despite being here for three days. Instead of making a profit, there’s a risk of incurring a loss,” said Kinley Zangmo, another vendor from Punakha.

Some vendors said that their business would have gone well if the district administration had allowed them to install games of chance instead of just dart games.

In addition, others complained about the poor condition of public toilets, leading to open defecation issues in the area.

“I came here with high expectations. Of course, no one invited us here, we came on our own hoping for good business. It has been four days now and there are still no customers,” said Lolo Tshering, a vendor from Punakha.

“Water and restrooms are essential for everyone. While there are no issues with the water supply here, the public toilet is extremely dirty and unusable,” said Tsagay, another vendor.

Meanwhile, an official from the district administration said that games of chance were restricted due to concerns about large sums of money being involved which could be considered gambling under the law.

Likewise, officials clarified that while the district cleans the toilets before events, individuals are responsible for maintaining cleanliness.

In addition, the district administration plans to appoint a fee collector for the restroom in the future to ensure cleanliness.

Changa Dorji, Gasa

Edited by Sonam Pem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube