Tawang visitors boost local business during Gomphu Kora Tshechu

The Gomphu Kora Tshechu in Trashi Yangtse offers residents the opportunity to receive blessings and witness the sacred festival. Additionally, it serves as a platform for farmers to sell their produce and handmade goods, providing them with an avenue to earn some cash. The Tshechu was held on Tuesday.

More than ten thousand people including Tawang residents from India have come to witness the day-long Gomphu Kora Tshechu.

Taking advantage of the huge gathering, residents of Trashi Yangtse, Trashigang and Monggar have come to sell their farm produce. That includes vegetables, nuts, chilli saplings, bamboo products and utensils.

Farmers said this is a time for them to earn some cash.

“When I was young, my parents used to sell bamboo baskets. The customers were mostly people from Tawang. For this Tshechu, I have woven four to five bamboo baskets as they are difficult to weave. I earned around Nu 15,000 to 16,000,” said Tshering Phuntsho, a farmer from Phongmey Gewog.

“I made edible items mainly to sell during Gomphu Kora Tshechu. I used to supply to the wholesalers but I get low prices. I can earn better here so, I came to sell my produce. I can earn about Nu 10,000 to 15,000 in a day. Every year, I come here to sell farm produce and witness the Tshechu as well,” said Norzom, another farmer from Bartsham Gewog.

“Out here, there are a lot of people gathered and we can sell more. If not, we have to travel quite far to sell the chilli saplings and vegetables. So, I came here to Gomphu Kora Tshechu to sell them. This time, I have earned around Nu 1,000,” said Samdrup Dorji, who is from Yalang Gewog.

The Gomphu Kora Tshechu is said to have been instituted more than three decades ago. Guru Rinpoche is believed to have meditated under a big rock at the site to subdue a demon.

Sonam Darjay, Trashigang

Edited by Tshering Zam 

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube