Wangchuck Gyalo wins Miwang Gyalsey Traditional Archery Tournament

Wangchuck Gyalo became the champion of this year’s Miwang Gyalsey Traditional Archery Tournament. The team defeated Rinyang Export in the final held at National Archery Stadium in Changlingmithang today. 23 teams from across the country took part in the tournament.

Hundreds of spectators gathered to witness the final between Wangchuck Gyalo and Rinyang Export.

In the traditional archery tournament, each team must score 25 points in two sets to win the game. Both teams won one set each yesterday. They continued the match until lunch today. Wangchuk Gyalo completed the third set by keeping opponents at 11 points.

“I have been participating continuously in national archery tournaments. I am really glad to win the Miwang Gyalsey Archery tournament,” said Tenzing Wangchuk, a player from team Wangchuck Gyalo.

Rinyang Exports’ Captain, Damcho Wangdi said, “I am very happy that we came second. Many teams took part in the tournament.”

Winners and runners-up were provided prizes and certificates. Individual prizes were also awarded.

Bhutan Indigenous Games and Sports Association has been organising the tournament since 2017 coinciding with Gyalsay Jigme Namgyel Wangchuck’s birthday.

To promote traditional archery, the association plans to organize archery competitions in districts and gewogs.

“If we organize tournaments in Changlingmithang we thought that we would not be able to encourage more participation. So we hope to organize a competition between gewogs and between districts,” said Tshewang Namgay, the coordinator of the Miwang Gyalsey Traditional Archery Tournament.

This is the first tournament the association had organised after the Covid-19 pandemic.

For Druk Wangyel national archery tournament which will be held in October this year, the association plans to invite a team from all gewogs in the country.

Karma Wangdi

Edited by Sangay Chezom

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube