Athang Gewog makes effort towards ending alms seeking tradition

For over two decades, the residents of Lawa-Lamga Chiwog at Athang Gewog in Wangdue Phodrang have been going around, seeking alms to make their living. According to the local leaders, the people were forced into seeking alms due to lack of income in the olden days and they continued to practice even today. However, the gewog administration is now trying to abolish the practice. After the gewog office implemented rules restricting residents from seeking alms, not many in the village seek alms now.

47-year-old Gyeltshen has been travelling to Thimphu, Paro and Punakha for the last five years seeking alms. However, this year, he decided to stay back and work at a construction site in his village. The father of one said, having a kid to raise and without a source of income, he had to seek alms.

Gyeltshen said, “I find working here in our village peaceful. If we go to Thimphu to seek alms, it is difficult to get the place to stay. I used to fetch around twenty-thousand ngultrum in a year. I do not plan on continuing the practice henceforth. I will look for works here.”

Like Gyeltshen, many men in the village used to spend their winters going around and asking for alms. Of the 37 households in the Chiwog, around 30 used to seek alms.

They recall accompanying their grandfathers and fathers when they were as young as five years old. They observed and learned prayers.

The elders say people did not engage in agriculture or livestock to make a living in past.

Things have changed in the chiwog. People now say that road connectivity brought developmental activities, improving their quality of life. The villagers are now into farming, raising livestock, and even into small businesses.

Baku, a resident said, “We worry about getting arrested by police and bitten by the dog while going around asking for alms. I always feared getting imprisoned rather than the amount of money I would get. So, I have decided not to go seeking alms thereafter. Now, it has been seven years since I left the practice.”

“The gup discussed with our people and came up with a system of imposing fines. I heard defaulters will be imposed a fine of Nu 10,000 or 20,000. But from my side, I would say those alms seekers should be arrested and put behind the bar for a month. That would scare them and will stop the practice,” said Phub Tshewang, another resident.

Lawa-Lamga Tshogpa, Nima Tshering said, “They have everything here. We can grow all kind of crops in our village. But people follow others and practice seeking alms. I do not understand the actual reason.

In 2022, the local leaders in consultation with the villagers, set rules, restricting people from seeking alms and the defaulters were fined Nu 10,000.

Athang Gup Dawa Gyeltshen said, “If anybody is found going around in town and seeking alms, they will be fined 10,000 ngultrum. People agreed on the said amount because they thought only that huge amount would deter residents from seeking alms and stop the practice. We have made a byelaw accordingly.”

It was also found that people were using alms money to repay loans. So, far, the gewog administration has imposed fines to some 20 people from the chiwog.

Changa Dorji, Wangdue Phodrang

Edited by Sangay Chezom

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube