Plot owners seek more time to construct houses in new Tsangchhutham town

The relocation of Tsangchhutham town under Phuentshogthang Gewog of Samdrupcholing Drungkhag in Samdrup Jongkhar began in 2019. However, COVID-19 coupled with other obstacles like scarce financial resources are hindering some plot owners to shift to the relocated site. They have now requested a further time extension of six months to one year from the district administration.   

This is the second time that the 12 plot owners are seeking a time extension. They were supposed to move to the new town site by the end of last month.

Before that, the dungkhag granted a time extension until August last year since the covid restrictions impeded developmental activities at the site. They are among the 31 plot owners, who received land kidu in 2018. They had been doing business on state land at old Tsangchhutham town for about 40 years.

This time they have appealed to the district administration as the drungkhag administration has not considered their request.

“Some of our friends have demolished the houses in the old town since they have other places to stay. However, we don’t have any place to shift. So, I hope the drungkhag and district administrations could grant us time extension to shift to the new town,” shares one of the plot owners, Tshewang Chopel.

Others also narrate their reasons for taking a long time to shift to the new town site.

“I am planning to relocate to the new town gradually because right now I have small kids to look after and also I am not able to process loans to construct houses,” says Ugyen Tshomo, another plot owner.

“I want to shift from here to the new town site but I need about five to six months to plan since covid prevented me to do anything,” adds Dawa Dema, who is also one of the plot owners.

The Samdrupcholing Drungpa clarified that they have already given enough time extension to the plot owners. Considering one more time extension will hamper timely developmental works in the new town.

The Drungpa further commented that due to its clustered structures, the old town is prone to fire hazards and also flooding since it is located near the river.

The Samdrup Jongkhar district administration is yet to discuss the matter.

Meanwhile, the relocated town area is located a kilometre away from the old town.

So far, four buildings have been completed, another three are under construction.

“We have to start constructing houses anyway. So we have started the construction and will also get loans. The government has helped us so much, that we don’t have other expectations,” tells Bishnu Maya Darjee, who is constructing a building on his plot.

Lok Nath Gautam has also started construction to re-establish his business in the new town.

“It is inconsiderate of us to ask time extension several times. His Majesty has granted us Land Kidu and I started the construction this year. We have been asked by the drungkhag to vacate the old town a long time back.”

As per the structural plan, residents are asked to construct one or three-storied buildings. Each plot owner has 5.5 decimals of land.

With more than 10,000 people, some schools and mining projects, Tshangchhutham town’s economic prospect seems bright.

Kinley Wangchuk, Samdrup Jongkhar

Edited by Pema Lhaden

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube