Scrap dealer struggles to make ends meet amid pandemic- Paro

With people continuing to battle the pandemic, vulnerable households including those dependent on informal employment are managing by increasing their debts. Likewise, a scrap dealer in Paro is finding ways to survive and support his family with scrap business on halt amid the pandemic.

Things were better before the pandemic for 58-year-old Yeshi Dorji and his family from Gomdar Gewog in Samdrup Jongkhar. Besides working as a night guard in one of the workshops, Yeshi gathered scrap and sold it across the border. But the pandemic hampered his business.

“I was getting it ready to transport it to the border but the vehicle charge was too high. From Paro till Sorchen, they are charging Nu 9000  while it is only Nu 3000 from Sorchen till Toorsa river. Moreover, we cannot go physically there. So, there are many such issues. So, I thought I will wait for the situation to get better,” said Yeshi Dorji.

After being mauled by a bear about three decades ago, he started working at the workshop in Paro. Since then, he has been staying in a makeshift hut with his family of three; his two daughters who are partially sighted and his wife who is mentally ill.

Yeshi Dorji said, “I cannot afford to rent an apartment as my income barely meets the expenses. I have to spend more than what I get. I have nowhere else to go. The workshop owner allowed me to stay here. So, I had to construct a makeshift hut from all that I could gather.”

Being the only breadwinner, Yeshi says he can hardly make ends meet on his current salary.

“I get Nu 6000 as my monthly salary. From that, I spent Nu 2000 on their tuition fees, Nu 3000 for their school bus fare and I save Nu 1000 each on their names in the bank. It’s difficult, so, I borrow from people to survive,” said Yeshi Dorji.

And now Yeshi fears that he may not be able to put food on the table for his family.

Namgay Wangchuk, Paro

Edited by Sonam Pem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube