No takers for folk musical instruments making art

Inside one of the rooms at the Royal Academy of Performing Arts (RAPA) staff colony in Thimphu, Apa Dodo, 46, is busy working on a dramnyen (traditional lute). His hands are firm, his eyes focused. It will be one of the last dramnyens Apa Dodo will be making.

“A few of us here are retiring soon, but we will keep making the instruments and sell them. That way, I feel we can preserve the art.”

In another room, Tandin is testing a chiwang (fiddle).

He echoes Apa Dodo’s concern about the need to preserve the culture.

“I feel the art of making traditional musical instruments is slowly dying. Our youth are in schools, and they are not interested in learning.”

With limited traditional musical instrument makers in the country, both Apa Dodo and Tandin, professional folk musicians, have been making their instruments themselves. It has been over two decades now.

Some artistes at RAPA say that folk music is slowly losing its lustre to the onslaught of modern music. And so, there are not many people interested to learn the art of making traditional musical instruments.

“If there is no one to make the instruments, traditional music could disappear,” says Dorji Norbu.

The RAPA artiste adds that he is willing to teach the art if people are interested.

“So far, I haven’t seen or met a person genuinely interested to learn.”

Sangay Phuntsho, a flautist at the Academy, says that many people can play the flute, but they may not make one properly.

RAPA’s principal, Tshering Zangmo T, says that supporting the instrument makers and ensuring their skills are passed on to future generations is essential.

“On our part, we plan to support our senior artistes after their retirement so they can keep alive the art of making traditional musical instruments.”

The Academy fears that there may no longer be people making traditional musical instruments, although dancers, music, and musicians would be.

Some music experts said only a few people in the country mastered making traditional musical instruments. And if the initiative to preserve the art is left to a handful lot, it may not be long before it becomes a distant memory.

Tshering Dendup

Edited by Sonam Wangdi

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube