Unutilized budget sparks debate in Zhemgang’s Dzongkhag Tshogdu

A lengthy debate ensued in the recent Dzongkhag Tshogdu in Zhemgang over the unused budget of about Nu 65.5 M in the last financial year. Local leaders were shocked. They said they failed to understand why that happened despite using every penny for developmental activities. 

The local leaders were left wondering how an unutilized budget was reflected from every gewog.

“Last year, during the closing of the financial year, we used the entire budget and even completed all the activities. But now, we are told a huge chunk of money was returned. I doubt if there is a mistake in the financial system,” said Kinzang Jurmey, the deputy chairperson of Zhemgang Dzongkhag Tshogdu.

The Nangkor Mangmi, Singay Wangchuk said, “I think we need to investigate properly when millions of ngultrum are found unutilized.”

“The dzongkhag planning sector said it is money for various projects and it will come back. But I feel it’s better to execute our planned activities on time to benefit the people. Otherwise, it is not going to benefit,” said Tshering Tenzin, the Bardo Mangmi.

However, the dzongkhag clarified that the unutilized budget is mostly from the Small Development Projects and Project Tied Assistance supported by the Indian government. The pandemic slowed the progress resulting in spillover of budget and projects.

The Zhemgang Dzongda, Chimi Dorji said, “For the 12th FYP, people might worry that we may not get the budget for the projects funded by the Indian government. But we are making use of whatever amount we are getting and people are being benefited. So, people should not worry when we say the budget has been returned.”

The meeting said Zhemgang received Nu. 604.206 M budget in the last financial year. The district used Nu 538.599 M and achieved 90 per cent of its planned activities.

Pema Samdrup, Zhemgang

Edited by Tandin Phuntsho

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube