PM questions PDP failure to meet the deadline

The People’s Democratic Party, PDP, should be disqualified from the next parliamentary elections for not meeting the deadline to clear-off their party debt. That was the message that the Prime Minister was passing on to the journalists during the Meet the Press session this afternoon.

One of the reporters asked Lyonchhoen whether the DPT have complained about PDP not being able to clear their financial liabilities within the stipulated time frame.

“It was made very clear to us by the ECB if we fail to meet the deadline on June 30 to settle our dues then our party will disqualify from the next round of elections. I believe the other party did not manage to fulfill its requirement within the stipulated time and asked for an extension,” said Lyonchhoen Jigmi Y Thinley.

“What was made clear to us as binding is actually not binding for the opposition party. I imagine that PDP should be disqualified from the next round of elections, which should be the decision taken by the ECB,” added Lyonchhoen.

The Prime Minister added it will be sad, if the only registered party will be disqualified to participate in the next round of elections.

He asked what would to the prominent members of the Party (PDP), if not fulfilled this very important obligation. “For instance, if DPT has not fulfilled the particular obligation; if the party is disqualified from participating from the next round of elections; can I form another party and continue as nothing has happened. So I wonder whether the only two members, the leader and deputy leader of the party will in fact allowed participating in next election,” said the Lyonchhoen.

Meanwhile, the Chief Election Commissioner said that two parties have submitted their status report on 16th of this month. He said that the commission is currently reviewing the report and once complete and the Commission reaches a decision, the nation shall be informed.

The Opposition Leader, Tshering Tobgay, said that the PDP is working hard and making good progress on clearing the outstanding debt. He added that the PDP as a first political party will fully abide the Law of the land. He said that they will continue to seek guidance from the ECB.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube