Unemployed youth take up farming, Pema Gatshel

With many people losing jobs and facing career insecurity due to the COVID-19 pandemic, some youth in Nanong Gewog in Pema Gatshel are now exploring options in farming to sustain their livelihood. 

But earnings from growing vegetables do not come easy. The youth are often challenged by wildlife conflicts and a shortage of irrigation water.

Nazhoen Sonam Detshen started growing chilli and tomatoes after the group was formed this year. The three members have leased two acres of land which was fallow for more than a decade.

While two of them were laid off, the other one could not find a job after completing his studies.

Tashi Tobgay, the founder of the Nazhoen Sonam Detshen said, When I returned to my village, I was all alone and I had a difficult time finding labourers. I thought if I had friends, we could grow more vegetables and produce more. I found two friends, who don’t have a job like me. And we decide to form a group and started our work.”

“I wasn’t employed. I was looking for a job but I couldn’t find one of my interests. Since I like farming, I decided to join the group. We are growing chilli at the moment. It is taking some time for me to learn.” added Sonam Dorji, a member of the group.

The gewog agriculture office supported the group with seeds and other equipment to encourage youth into farming.

Tshering Yonten, the gewog agriculture extension officer said, “Till now from the gewog and agriculture sector, we have supported through the supply of various vegetable seeds and irrigation facilities like the supply of drip set. We supplied syntax, plastic mulching and distribution of greenhouse on cost-sharing.”

Since their farms are located far from the village, they often face water shortages during winter. The group also says the wild animals destroy their vegetables, making their situation worse.

However, the gewog office is planning to help the group with fencing.

“In case of fencing, we cannot provide them at free of cost. But we have planned to give them on a cost-sharing basis. It will be given in this financial year and we have even allocated the budget. It is difficult to work without water. We also have a plan to help them with irrigation water,” said Sonam Jamtsho, Nanong Gup.

Pema Dorji, another member of the group said, “We want to continue hereon. This is just the beginning. We are doing in a smaller area right now but we want to grow more vegetables in bigger lands.”

Despite the challenges, the group is determined to grow vegetables and stabilize themselves financially to avoid being a victim to another crisis in the future.

Thinley Dorji, Pema Gatshel

Edited by Sangay Chezom

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube