It is always better to be extra cautious: Father of SJ’s alleged minor rape case

It has been over a month since the case of the alleged rape of a 12-year-old girl child in Samdrup Jongkhar surfaced. The case is being prosecuted. Meanwhile, talking to the BBS, the girl’s father has a message for all parents. 

“My daughter went to the suspect’s house and while fiddling with his phone, she fell asleep. That was when he raped her. He told my daughter not to tell anyone about what happened. We only knew of the incident after she gave birth. I regret trusting my cousins and letting my daughter stay at his place.”

The incident came into the limelight after the girl gave birth on May 25. A 35-year-old man was arrested as the suspect.

According to the girl’s father, the suspect is a relative and a neighbour. It never occurred to him that his cousin would take such a step. The suspect, the father said, has been close with the girl since her birth. The incident happened last year when schools were closed due to the country’s COVID-19 situation.

Cautioning other parents, he said, it is important to talk to one’s child and be careful who you trust your child’s care with.

“It has been my misfortune to face such a situation. My advice to other parents is they should be extra careful even if they are leaving their children with a relative. One never knows of a person’s intention. Of course, I am not generalizing, but as parents, it is always better to be extra cautious.”

According to data from the Respect, Educate, Nurture and Empower Woman (RENEW) last May, around 200 cases of teenage pregnancy were reported from 17 districts. In most cases, the perpetrators were the victims’ family members.

Meanwhile, the Samdrup Jongkhar police charged the suspect with the rape of a minor and incest since the suspect is the alleged victim’s uncle.

Kinley Wangchuk, Samdrup Jongkhar

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube