Farmers of Khangma in Pema Gatshel learn art of wood carving

Pema Gatshel might soon be able to supply quality wooden products with intricate designs. Thanks to a month-long wood carving training for the farmers there. The farmers of Khangma now can add value to their products.

The dream has come true for the carpenters in Khangma. They have been waiting for a very long time to learn the art of wood carving. And today, they are busy acquiring the skill.

Wood carving is an important part of traditional Bhutanese architectural designs. Pillars in the temples and dzongs often have such intricate carvings, showing many auspicious symbols and designs.

“I have been making wooden products for many years now, but I don’t know wood carvings. I have just seen others doing it. I am very thankful to the government for providing such opportunities. Even the instructor came from another district. We are very much interested to learn the art,” said Dubjor from Khangma.

“The new skill would change our lives. In the past, we only heard or saw the finished products, but we never got an opportunity to learn. It is very interesting,” added Phuntsho Wangdi.

An instructor from the Institute for Zorig Chusum in Trashi Yangtse trained the farmers.

“In the 2021-2022 financial year, the gewog administration consulted forestry officials and proposed for a budget to the government. If possible, we will further train the same group for a longer period,” said Yurung Gup Sangay Thinley.

The training ended recently with farmers learning a new skill. But more than that, it also ensures the survival of the art.

Thinley Dorji, Pema Gatshel

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube