Homestays in Sagteng expecting more visitors

The number of homestays in Sagteng Gewog of Trashigang is on a rise. From only one in 2013, today there are around 17 homestays in Sagteng. And the gewog connected with a road this year, locals are expecting an increasing number of visitors. 

The scenic beauty of the place and its unique culture are some of the main attractions of Sagteng. But compared to other places, it has not been seeing many visitors.

Tshering Drakpa runs one of the homestays in Sagteng.

“If the road conditions are improved, there will be more visitors. We have a road today but it is not very good. So people are still hesitant to come here. I recently had guests from Sherubtse College.”

The local visitors are charged around Nu 1,000 per night, which also include three meals.

“If I get more visitors, I will continue with my homestay. I am thinking of expanding this place. I am hopeful that my business will prosper in future,” Dorji Dema, a Homestay Owner, said.

According to the Sagteng Gup, the Homestay Committee is planning to come up with certain standards and only those that meet them will be allowed to continue. There were more than 30 visitors including both foreigners and Bhutanese last year. Locals are hoping for numbers to double by the end of this year.

Sonam Darjay 

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube