Teacher assault case withdrawn

Pelkhil School in Thimphu withdrew its complaint from the police against a UNICEF official for assaulting one of its teachers. The case, which school officials had claimed to be de-motivating for the whole of the teaching community, was withdrawn after just three days since the incident.

According to the school Principal, the complaint was withdrawn after the accused had met with the victim and apologised for his actions. He said though the teacher was hurt physically and emotionally, he had behaved professionally by forgiving the assaulter.

The parent, Dr. Shukrat in his statement, apologised to the entire teaching community for dishonouring and insulting their noble profession.

He wrote: “There is no excuse for my misbehavior, which is unacceptable and unimaginable from a person of my profession. I have not only harmed the teacher physically but also damaged his dignity and emotional and psychological well-being. All this I did under emotional stress which led me to violate my professional standards, the UN Code of Conduct as well as my own life principles. I will regret these actions for the rest of my life.”

The joint statement by the UNICEF and Pelkhil School says both the parties had found a mutually acceptable resolution to the incident.

Meanwhile UNICEF Representative, Dr. Gepke Hingst, said the matter would be pursued internally in accordance with the UN code of conduct.

Top Stories

Related Stories

19 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube