Lack of timber hampers affected families

A strong windstorm blew-off roof of six houses and a Lhakhang in Tsendona village under Paro Dzongkhag on February 5. More than two months on the affected families have not been able to re-roof their houses as there is no timber available.

Of the six houses, the roofs of two houses have been completely damaged. Ap Lhaba, one of the affected families could not re-roof his house as he was not granted Kidu timber.

The Lamgong Gup, Phub Tshering, said they have informed about the matter to the Dzongkhag Forestry Office but has not got any response. “The people request me for Kidu timber every now and then. So I went to the Dzongkhag and informed the Dzongrab and he immediately wrote a letter to the Chief Forestry Officer. I handed over the letter to the CFO and I was told that he cannot give the Kidu timber. So I informed the matter to the Dzongkhag. It’s about two months now.”

The Chief Forestry officer, Sither Dorji, said only the Department of Forests and Park Services has the authority to give Kidu timber.  “People think they can get Kidu timber from here. For that the Gewog should submit clear information about the number of houses affected and the extent of damage to the Dzongkhag office. The Dzongkhag should either report to the Headquarters or the director. After the permission is granted we will issue the timber,” clarifies the CFO.

Now, the people are concerned as they will not have time to carry out renovation works because the monsoon will start soon and it will be time for paddy cultivation.

“It is raining unusually this year. It rains day and night. We have used tarpaulin sheets to cover the roof but it gets blown away by the wind every now and then and the rain seeps into the house,” said Ap Lhaba.

Until the affected families get the Kidu timber there is nothing much they can do but to come up with their own solution.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube