TB screening programme-an effort towards early detection

Bhutan is identified as one of the highest countries with Multi-Drug Resistant Tuberculosis (MDR-TB)  in the South-East Asian regions. Last year alone, Bhutan recorded 63 cases. In an effort towards early detection and initiate treatment, the health ministry conducted a three-day tuberculosis screening programme at Clock Tower Square in Thimphu, which ended today.

The programme was aimed at contributing to reducing the risk of poor treatment outcomes and TB transmission in the country. Officials from the health ministry, the national referral hospital and Gidagom hospital provided the screening services.

“These days the MDR-TB is increasing yearly. So, we thought it would be better if we are able to detect early,” Rinxin Jamtsho, Chief Programme Officer of Communicable Diseases Division, said.

According to health officials, globally economic age group people are the victims of TB. The economic age ranges from 15 to 50 years. TB being a communicable disease, it has the potency to spread from one person to another.

If a patient comes to our clinic early, then it is very easy for both doctor and patient to get a 100 per cent treatment success rate. But if they come very late then TB can lead to so many other complications, like it will not stay only in the lungs but spread to all the other parts of the body, which is called a form of disseminated TB,” Dr  Tashi Dorji the General Duty Medical Officer of Gidagom Hospital, said.

“When it becomes disseminated, it spreads to bones, kidneys and even to brain and that is the time where a physician will face the challenge. So we have to do more investigations and sometimes we fail to diagnose also and there will be a delay in diagnosing. Because of this other organs will be affected and this will lead to further more dangerous consequences.”

Some 650 people from Thimphu and its nearby districts turned up for the TB screening service. The results will be out in the next five days.

“I came here checkup because my mother is a TB patient and taking medicines daily. So I, along with my family members came for a checkup. Fortunately, we were told that we do not have any symptom of TB. However, we were asked to revisit hospitals later if we happen to have some symptoms,” Jamyang Rinchen said.

“I am here for TB checkup. I am a diabetic patient.  We were asked to come for a checkup. I have been called on Monday or Tuesday for follow up,” Nar Maya Bhattarai said.

Based on the caseload, the team will be providing such TB screening services in Phuentshogling, Gelegphu and Samtse in the following weeks.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube