Weaving Bura Fabrics- an alternative source of income in Jamkhar

Women of Jamkhar in Trashi Yangtse are well known for weaving Bura (raw silk) textiles as an alternative source of income for the family. Earlier, marketing their hand-woven fabrics was a challenge but not anymore.

They get orders to weave Bura Ghos and Kiras from as far as Thimphu.

While men work in the fields, women spend most of their time weaving Bura clothes. They mostly weave intricate patterns Bura ghos and kiras according to the orders from their buyers.

A bura gho costs a minimum of Nu 15,000 while a kira costs about Nu 10,000.

“After completing the paddy transplantation, I have dyed some yarns, which I will start weaving soon. I already received some advance payment. I also tell my children to learn to weave. If we know this craft, we won’t face any financial problems,” Naki said.

“If we don’t weave, there is no income. By weaving, we are able to meet the expenses for our children. We depend our living on weaving,” Pema Choden said.

“Weaving has been there from our forefather’s time. Radhi is known for Bura. We have many Bura weavers here in Jamkhar too,” Sangay Tshomo said.

Women added that they are able to make good income compared to the past years.

Meanwhile, the Gewog also has plans to help weavers to market their products more easily.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube