Govt.’s decision in replacing Zhemgang not illegal:PM

The government says there is no legality issue when it comes to replacing Zhemgang with Sarpang from Tourism flagship programme. Recently the Opposition said the government’s decision of removing Zhemgang from the program is illegal. The Opposition wrote a letter to the National Assembly Speaker requesting to revoke the government’s decision and to reconsider Zhemgang as one of the focus districts as approved in the Budget Appropriation Act 2019-2020.

Prime Minister Dr Lotay Tshering at the meet the press session yesterday said the parliament endorsed Dagana, Gasa, Lhuentse and Zhemgang as four focus districts for the programme. He said later the Tourism Council of Bhutan (TCB) under the chairmanship of Foreign Minister removed Zhemgang and replaced it with Sarpang since the district is a gateway to its neighbouring districts.

“We cross-checked and we did our homework and there is no legality issue. We must follow what is there in the Act and what is the law of the country. But when it comes to the Budget Act, it is not like any Act. Every year, there is the Budget Act coming up. To re-appropriate or cancel or to incorporate, refer to Financial Rules and Regulations which is governed by the Public Finance Act under the Ministry of Finance. So, if it is not legally allowed, the Ministry of Finance will stop us,” the prime minister added.

He also clarified that the government’s decision is not politically driven.

“TCB found it is necessary to open from Sarpang which Zhemgang will benefit more. There is no use of creating activities for tourists if there are no tourists visiting the district. So, I approved it and I told them to decide themselves to TCB and GNHC too. I told them if you want to bring back Zhemgang and throw Sarpang out, I am okay with it or you want to keep it as it is.  I said I am absolutely fine. Things that are going around social media that is not a problem for me at all because ultimately I know what I want. I want Zhemgang to be developed.”

Earlier this month, the National Council also wrote to the Prime Minister expressing their concern on the decision.

Speaker says to uphold parliament’s decision

In a letter addressed to the opposition leader, the National Assembly Speaker wrote that Zhemgang should be kept as one of the focus districts for the tourism flagship programme as approved in the Budget Appropriation Act 2019-2020.

The copy of the letter was also sent to Prime Minister, to National Council’s Chairperson, Chairman of TCB and to the Secretary-General of the National Assembly. The government approved Nu 11 M each to the identified districts for the programme.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube