Global commitment at local level

Bhutan will join rest of the world in observing an event of the year- the earth hour tomorrow. The earth hour is a part of WWF worldwide campaign. It is observed every year from 8:30 pm onwards on the last Saturday of March for an hour.

The earth hour is a global campaign in over 5,000 cities in 185 countries, with 1.8 billion people supporting for environmentally sustainable action. The event was first observed in Australia in 2007 and thereafter became a global campaign, taking a stand against climate change by going dark for an hour and saving energy.

“It is about getting people commit themselves to a more sustainable way of life or towards sustaining our resources, ultimately to save our planet. Now I would like to implore and request every individual, business houses to commit by observing this earth hour,” said Dr. Pema Gyamtsho, Minister, Agriculture and Forests.

The earth hour action gives people the choice of voices. It gives voices to change, a change to create a better future for the planet. The President of Bhutan Ecological Society said earth hour is more than just switching off the lights.

“We need everybody, every one of you. So how can we do this, just not the earth hour, there is message over here how we can do, like when you get in a car, tell your children not to throw the trashes, and likewise bus drivers, taxi drivers can do the same. This is the part of earth hour. It is part of taking care of our earth, it is not just putting the lights off for one hour, it is overall everyday behavior,” said Dasho Paljor Jigme Dorji.

BBS went around the city, asking people and these are the commitments for earth hour.

“On earth hour, I will walk to school. I will switch off my cell phone, which is currently on. And I am going to use energy efficient products,” commits Vicky Namgyel, a Student.

Another student, Tashi Lhamo, also wants to walk to the school.

“During earth hour I have a plan to keep my car at home and plan to walk to my work,” said Ugyen Tshering, a local resident.

The commitments do not stop here. The United Nations head confirmed that the headquarters of the United Nations will be switching off the lights and so will all the 938 world heritage sites of the UNESCO.

Here in Thimphu, the Memorial Chorten will be switching-off at 7pm.

The event will be observed by Bhutan Ecological Society in collaboration with the Ugyen Wangchuck Institute for Conservation and Environment and the WWF Bhutan Programme.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube