Children’s music book, ‘Aku Tongmi: A song for Bhutan’ released

To preserve and promote traditional Bhutanese songs, a children’s music book, ‘Aku Tongmi: A song for Bhutan’ was released in Thimphu. The book features a life story of an acclaimed composer who composed Bhutan’s National Anthem as well.

The book also has 10 Bhutanese songs including the National Anthem.

Aku Tongmi is known for being one of Bhutan’s finest composers and musicians. He was also the man behind the country’s first military band. He lived from 1916 to 2007.

Two women from the US authored the book initiated by the Music of Bhutan Research Centre (MBRC). It took them four -year  to complete

“When we first started learning about Bhutanese music ten years ago and I was doing a research in California, the only person I could find in my research, in my internet was Aku Tongmi. So I heard about him very early on and he has always inspired us and we became involved in doing music research,” Janet Herman, the co-author, said.

The MBRC says due to the increase in the international entertainment medium, the younger generation is taking less interest in the traditional songs.

“With this children’s music book, we want to reach to every the youth in our country. They are the ones who need to take care of the culture and tradition,” Sonam Dorji, the Executive Director of the MBRC said.

The centre plans to distribute the book in  primary schools across the country.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube