Three go public with their HIV positive status

Three more individuals decided to make their HIV positive status public while observing the World Aids Day in Samdrup Jongkhar today.

A couple from Pema Gatshel, 42-year-old Dorji Tshering and 44- year-old Tshering Wangzom decided to disclose their HIV status, having lived with the virus for the last three years,

Dorji Tshering said when he was first detected with HIV in 2015 he was in denial and did not listen to health officials.

“I drank alcohol and did not take care of myself.  But later when my younger daughter got sick and was detected with the virus, it was a wake-up call for me. I then realized that I need to follow health instructions.”

They have two daughters the elder is HIV negative.

Another individual, 41-year-old Dorji from Trashigang also decided to disclose his HIV status in public. His wife made her HIV positive status public last year.

“It has been five years living with HIV, I now advise my friends to do HIV testing to know their status.”

The three decided to go public with their status not just for themselves but for the benefit of others like them living with the virus.

Also, to fight the stigma surrounding the disease, which is preventing many from coming out as HIV positive and others from coming forward to get tested.

Including the three, the number of people who have disclosed their HIV positive status in the country today stands at 13.

Today there are 627 people living with HIV/AIDS in the country. The first HIV case was detected in 1993.

Meanwhile, the health ministry is organising a mobile National HIV Testing Week in Thimphu, Phuentshogling, Gelegphu, Trongsa, Samdrup Jongkhar, and Lobesa in Punakha from today till December 8.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube