People of Bopsar village sceptical about water pledges

With election campaigns in full swing, parties have been pledging to resolve drinking and irrigation water issues. However, the people in Bopsar village of Goshing Gewog in Zhemgang are sceptical about the pledges.

Due to the lack of irrigation water, farmers could not cultivate paddy this time.

“After readying our fields for paddy transplantation, we had to leave it fallow because of insufficient irrigation water,” Rinchen Gyuden, one of the farmers said.

“Because of the shortage of water, I fed my paddy seedlings to the cattle,” Lhamo, another villager, said.

Some farmers cultivated maize in their paddy fields. The party candidates have pledged to resolve water issues at the common forums but the people are apprehensive.

“We need access to safe drinking water and irrigation water to carry out farm works for all time to come. Without a proper water source, I am doubtful whether the parties can resolve the issue,”  Rinchen Gyuden said.

“I am sceptical about the party pledges on resolving the water issue,”  Sangay, a farmer, said.

Some farmers said an option for bringing irrigation water would be to pump water from MangdiChu, which is about 500 metres down the hill from their village.

There are about 45 households in the village.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube