Need for river protection wall along Nyera Amachhu say Tshangchelu residents

The people of Tshangchelu in Gomdar Gewog of Samdrup Jongkhar say there is a need to build a river protection wall in their area. They say they have to spend sleepless nights during monsoon with their village located near Nyera Amachhu and there is a risk of flooding.

There are about 10 households located along the right side of the river bank, while,  the Gomdar Central School, Basic Health Unit (BHU) and Gomdar Gewog Centre are situated on the left.

“We do not know when a disaster will strike, we have to stay in constant fear without any river protection wall,”Karchung, one of the villagers, said.

“I have been living here at Tshangchelu for 15 years now. I remember evacuating to higher ground after a flood about a decade ago. Even now, when it rains, I get scared. We would be grateful if a river protection wall is constructed,” Kezang Dawa, another villager, said.

Meanwhile, the Gomdar Gewog Administration is looking for an alternative and funds to construct a river protection wall.

“We tried to put the plan in the current five-year plan. But we do not have funds to carry out the mitigation works. If we use the available budget for mitigation work then we will not be able to carry out other developmental activities,” Sonam Tshering, the Gomdar Gup, said.

“We are planning to request the government to look for other alternatives, as it is very important”

Until a river protection wall is constructed, the only option for people residing along Nyera Amachhu is to stay alert and cautious during a heavy downpour.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube