Inculcating reading habit in students

More than 200 students are taking part in a summer reading retreat underway at Dashiding Central School in Punakha.

With the theme “Reading is Cool”, the students are being engaged in various reading activities at the weeklong retreat.

One of the participants, Vinaya Alay, says it’s been a great experience.

“I think reading more will help us improve our vocabulary and also study and perform better,” Vinaya Alay said.

Nima Yozer, another participant, said the program has helped him improve his reading skills. “I think my English speaking and writing skills will improve if I read,” he said.

The retreat is organized by a group of teachers from Lobesa Lower Secondary School. The group started the initiative in 2016.

“It feels great to see young students going to library, picking up books and reading them,” Sonam Dorji, of the organizing members said.

However, without a fixed budget, the organizers are skeptical about the sustainability of the program.

Punakha Dzongkha provided the fund for this year’s retreat. Private companies and individuals also contributed.

Despite the budget constraints, the organizers are looking to conduct such retreats twice a year. They also want to hold the program in different dzongkhags.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube