Joint sitting endorses Audit Bill

The joint sitting of the parliament passed the Audit Bill of Kingdom of Bhutan 2017, today. Earlier, there were 17 disputed clauses of which the Joint Committee unanimously adopted eight recommendations after detailed discussions.

While everyone agreed to the clauses adopted by the committee, some members opposed on one clause, which states if the decision of the parliament on the National Budget is delayed, the Royal Audit Authority will be provided with the interim funds which shall at least equal to previous year’s budget.

“This is mentioned in the article 14 section 9 of the constitution. Even if we don’t include this clause, like any other budgetary bodies, the Audit Authority will be guided by the Constitution,” said MP Dorji Wangdi from Panbang Constituency under Zhemgang.

Some other members in the house begged to differ. “On this clause, I am concerned about the interim fund that is temporary budget. I think this will not go in line with the Constitution as there is nothing mentioned about the interim fund in the Constitution,” said Foreign Minister Damcho Dorji.

However, most parliamentarians supported keeping the clause as per the Joint Committee’s recommendation.

“Most are saying that clause is mentioned in the Constitution. However, it is not in details. Therefore, I think it’s important for every institution to have its own act. It will be an added advantage,” stated National Council Member of Gasa, Dorji Khandu.

The Audit Bill is a private member’s bill. It was first discussed in the National council in 2016. The council then forwarded the bill to the National Assembly, which was sent back to the council. There were 17 disputed clauses so it was sent to His Majesty The King. Upon a Royal Decree, the joint sitting was held today during which the bill was passed with a majority of 62 members voting in favour of the changes.

Once endorsed, the bill will be called “The Audit Act of the Kingdom of Bhutan 2018” and shall repeal the Audit Act of Bhutan 2006.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube