EVS to be infused into Dzongkha and English curriculum for class PP-I

Environmental Studies (EVS) will be incorporated into Dzongkha and English Curriculum for Pre-Primary (PP) level to classes one from this academic session. This was one of the resolutions of last year’s education conference held in Phuentshogling.

To implement the resolution, some 143 teachers from Bumthang and six eastern dzongkhags attended three-day orientation workshop at Yadi Central School in Monggar. The workshop ended yesterday and one of the key takeaways from it was learning five basic skills of Environmental Studies subject such as intellectual, procedural, communication, social and physical skills. “The reason for incorporating Environmental Studies is to reduce burden for elementary kids from class PP-2. It is also because the content knowledge of EVS is relevant to Dzongkha, English and even maths as well,” said the workshop facilitator, Karma Wangdi.

Besides, the workshop covered discussion on some of the pros and cons of teaching EVS and Dzongkha as one subject. While some teachers welcomed the move others dissented. “In my opinion, I think we can handle it. In earlier days, when there was teacher shortage, one teacher used to teach both EVS and Dzongkha,” said one of the teachers, Dorji.

However, a teacher named Namgay disagreed. “I am startled when we are asked to teach both EVS and Dzongkha as one subject. I am concerned about how we would be able to complete the syllabus on time.” But the workshop facilitator assured that teachers would be able to cover the syllabus on time since all the topics for EVS were sorted out.

For class II to III, the teaching of EVS with Dzongkha as well as with English subjects is likely to be introduced from next year.

Similar workshops for teachers of western and central regions are underway. Until 1980s, Environmental Science or EVS for class PP till III was taught in English. However from 1995 till last year, it was taught in Dzongkha as a different subject.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube